Bought Running Shoes But Only Used Them for Team Building?

Have you ever bought a pair of running shoes but ended up not using them for running at all? You are so determined, all pscyhed up to run. Your friends have been going to the gym and you have been admiring his big muscles and toned body. So you bought yourself a pair of sophisticated running shoes. You bought asics because you thought they were the best.

I first bought my running shoes not for running but simply for my office's away day team building programme. After the programme, it ended up on the shoes shelves and only used it ocassionally for futsal games etc. The truth is I wasn't much of an active person previously. Running tired me out, I prefer a hobby that can keep my body lazy but can make me a lot of money like financial investments and getting involved in a small little venture from home. I didn't start to run until end of September 2014. I asked myself one day, how long is this going to go on? I want a healthy body and look good but at the same time I do not however want to exercise at all. Back then I was suffering from blood pressure and high cholesterol level.

These shoes then were called into service on one morning. I started to run. First on treadmill for 15mins, the next day 20mins, the day after 30 mins. Pace was slow. I was going at 9-10 mins/km. I hit the gym every morning despite pains in the muscle. I must get them to adapt quickly.

From 2km to 4km. Then I started to venture out. Running around the compound of my neighbourhood. Then I thought I should register for a race just to gauge where I am against others and how much I have progressed. My first run was the Shamrock Run at Bukit Jalil Recreational Park.





The tip of the toe on both shoes almost comes off. I have to glue them up. But I ended up buying a new pair of shoes (Nike Free 5.0) for Shamrock Run as I don't want any problem on the race day. Bought asics back then as they are the best in running.. (Some say!)




Back then, there is no such thing as neutral or stability shoes. Shoes manufacturers only focussing on soles comfort. The soles hardly wear off due to lack of mileage. haha..

After a while as I was getting more and more into running, the number of shoes that I have simply multiplied. From Nike Free 5.0 to Brooks Pure Flow and so on. There is a long list and after so many trial and error, I much pretty understand which one is the best for me and started to grow preference towards some. My favourite now is Asics Tartherzeal which I use for races and Asics DS Trainer 20 for training/LSD.

I also like certain types from Nike, like Nike Zoom Pegasus 32 and Nike Lunar Flynit 2. Wow they are fast. I like the cushiony feeling at toe off as I am a forefoot striker. Adidas Boost series also not bad at all, particularly Supernova Glide and Sequence 7. But when Adidas has the habit to producing shoes specific to heel strikers as majority of the shoes in the line like Ultra Boost has thick boost at the heel with thin layer at the forefoot.

Brooks are suitable for certain types of feet. Their shoes meant for stability are heavily cushioned. Ravenna and Adrenaline GTS series are notorious for these. They also have fast shoes for elite runners such as ST7 and Brooks Launch.. But my feet just fit in well in them. They always give out RM160 voucher to events that they sponsor and open booth at events with 50% discount. Their shoes are expensive without the discount. So wait for the discount before buying as they are very frequent.

Skechers are soft and light but their proprietary resalyte sole does not bounce off well. Probably more suitable for heel/midfoot striker.

New Balance is ok, but they are not suitable for my feet. At one time, I tried their Vazee Pace many times at their store in KLCC. At first it was love at first sight, but then  after 3rd and 4th tryout, I kinda feel that it has too much room in the toebox which can make a sloppy toe off. So for now I just stick to Asics Tartherzeal and DS Trainer. hehe..  Not that I own all of the above, but I seem to have developed a habit of going to the sports shops during my free time and trying out the latest running shoes. Nike, NB, Skechers, Asics, Brooks, Newton, Adidas, Hoka One One, Puma you name it. My facebook feeds suck up to the minute news from the pages of World of Sports, Marathonshop, Running Lab, Sports Direct Malaysia for shoes discounts/bargains. But I guess some of you may be like me too.. come on .. own it.. haha..

So let me know your story about your first running shoes.. come and tell me at www.facebook.com/lserunner . Let's cherish our journey and love for running together.





Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Fun-loving person with incredible passion for running. A heavy person who lost almost 12kg from running and overcoming the challenges to eat clean.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.