Balms for Recovery

Running in perfect alignment requires perfect running form which then is to be supported by strong muscles. Quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, core. All these need to be strong to ensure that no one particular muscle works excessively to compensate the weakness of the other muscles which then can cause injury.

Injuries often happen due to the inflammation or tear of the muscles from overuse. Unfortunately due to the way my right foot is built, I tend to overpronate. Every time I run, the tip of my foot particularly my heel side tend to move sideways resulting in the impact to hit the side of the foot awkwardly. The impact reverbrates all the way through the shin bones resulting in shin splints. Due to this, I have been advised to wear shoes with support which I don't quite like. You see shoes with stability or support features are often heavy and I only like wear lighter racer shoes such as Adidas Boston Adizero Boost and Asics Tartherzeal. So most of the time, I end up having to nurse the shin splint injury after a race. To deal with this, I have been using lots and lots of creams/balms with properties that can reduce inflammation of the shin splint quickly. Inserts sometimes don't help and feet arch strengthening exercises take time to see results.

I have tried most of the balms/ointments on the shelves at Watson and Guardian pharmacies and know the effectiveness of each one. When I travel, I do go on the look out for their local remedies. Thailand, Dubai, Singapore and even Sudan. I looked at the special ingredients and just make a bet. Sometimes it works beautifully and sometimes they don't. If it does, it benefits me greatly like a heat balm that I got from Thailand, made from a special ingredient found in the hills of Thailand and used for Thai Kickboxing injuries. If it does normally, it would result in me going back to the shop and buy a couple more to bring home. Most medicines found in Malaysia contain methyl salicylate and this only works to a certain extent, immediate relief yes, but not for medium term recovery. Whenever I purchase a balm for pain relief, I would always go for ones that ensure recovery not for temporary painkiller like diclofenac, fastum, voltaren gel which all fall under Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) category etc.

Typical pain relief balms would contain methyl salicylate or or its herbal equivalent, wintergreen, eucalyptus and camphor (for the heat) and menthol for that tingling sensation to let the user know and get the feeling as if it is working.. Actually the methyl salicylate that does all the work. The rest is just fluffs. Just like our tooth paste, fluoride is the one doing the work, menthol just to make you feel fresh but it doesn't do anything to clean up your teeth actually. Examples include Counterpain, Menzza and Deep Heating Rub. They are called topical analgesic cream.

The better balms/ointment would contain special ingredients such as Radix, Rhizhoma, Cinnamon, Tumeric, Gamat etc. These are the ones that can help in your long term recovery, not just to kill the pain for a few hours. Whenever I feel some tingling pain after a long hill run, I would also reach out for one of these to prevent any potential ITB syndrome in and around my knee. I had it before and it gave you some perspective on how it should be treated. Of course there is an inflammation, I would also pop in a couple of Omega and B Complex pills. It helps the recovery to be faster.


Special relief made from herbal ingredients such as wintergreen, eucalyptus and other herbal stuff found in Khartoum, Sudan but Made in India.

Herbal balm found in Thailand. Contain special ingredients only found in Thailand.


TJIN KOO LIN oil bought from a local sensei shop in Jalan Pudu


Various creams that I bought from various places; Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand &  Dubai.



I guess it has now become very much like a hobby and at home I have a box full of many different balms and ointments which I would rotate in using. :) I hope this post has been beneficial for you. Let me know what you have in your closet at times of pain.. :)


Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Fun-loving person with incredible passion for running. A heavy person who lost almost 12kg from running and overcoming the challenges to eat clean.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.