My First Run

My first competitive run was nothing to shout about. I have been running since end of September 2014 and was looking for an event to test out my fitness. By twist of chance, my friend Redza just texted me one day to tell me that he was in fact organising a run for Malaysia's Irish Alumni Association and the distance was for only 8km. It was a good distance for me to test out my endurance. After all I have been running and this event would define my level of running ability. All this while the farthest that I have ever gone was 6km and I know that I need to increase my mileage quickly to ensure that I can perform on that day. I started running continuously for 5-6km straight unlike previously there were several breaks in between. I have been looking around for events and I was already late to register for Standard Chartered Marathon KL.

The date was 18 October 2014 and heyy the result was not bad at all. I ran close to 8.3km under 58 mins despite several stops and I was pretty sure I was in the top quartile of the finishers. The race took 3 rounds around the park and I didn't expect the park to be that challenging with multiple steep hill climbs. I was sweating like crazy. I made the first round without stopping but fatigue got the better of me half way through the second round. Came the third round I almost gave up..haha.. But good things many others too feel the same way..  I guess they were also recreational runners like me.

Shamrock Run 2015 - Bukit Jalil Recreational Park Malaysia
The night before the run

I got nervous on the night before the run wondering how I would perform the next day.

Shamrock Run 2015 - Bukit Jalil Recreational Park Malaysia
Shamrock Run 2015 - Bukit Jalil Recreational Park Malaysia

The crowd was excellent. Can you spot me in the picture?
The medal wasn't that nice. I don't think people would mind paying a little bit extra to get a nicer medal. I could say I have popped the cherry on running events with this breakthrough.

My second run was the TERRY FOX run. This event provided no medal whatsover.. You just run for the sake of running with others to support the cause. You contributed by buying the T-Shirt. I felt strong on this one. Even though I was only required to run only 1 round, I did 3.


I still wear my old Asics trainers for this event. Shoes-craziness had not landed. Ian and Zhariff spent time at the Titiwangsa Park. They earlier joint me in the running for about 500 metres before deciding that see saw and slides were better than running.

Third race was Larian Gegar Neon at University Malaya. It was a night run. First competitive 10km run. My time was hampered by bad rain 3/4 of the race. I recorded 1hr 12mins from the usual 1hr 8mins. First experience with Bukit Cinta.

Larian Gegar Neon 2014 Universiti Malaya

Larian Gegar Neon Universiti Malaya 2014 - Medal
Larian Gegar Neon Universiti Malaya 2014 - Medal.. A beauty..







Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Fun-loving person with incredible passion for running. A heavy person who lost almost 12kg from running and overcoming the challenges to eat clean.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.